Colonial Village History
CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF COLONIAL VILLAGE AREA
Provided by Sharon Webb Colonial Village resident and board member
1917 - Year of Annexation into Knoxville for small area of south Knox County.
1930 - Year that construction of Henley Street Bridge began. (September 22, 1930)
1932 - Year that Henley Street Bridge opened. (January 1932)
1934 - 1936 - The Knoxville City Directories still does not list Chapman Highway. By 1934, it was referred to as the new Servierville road.
1940 - Colonial Village registered in city deed books - 18 Sept. 1940
- Chapman Highway is listed in the Knoxville City Directory
-- all the way to
-In what would become Colonial Village, these were the only
residential section streets
at this time: Stone, Magazine, Neubert Springs, Old Valley,
West Ford Valley,
Colonial, West Redbud and Mapleloop Roads, also Mayflower,
1945 - The area between West Ford Valley and Chapman Highway, was still an open field.
SAMUEL A McCALL FARM
The area of the 6000 block of Chapman Highway, was a part of the original 200 acre farm of Samuel A McCall (1856-1934). The new highway, went through the middle of his property. This proved to be disastrous for Mr. McCall. On October 28, 1934, while attempting to cross the new road to get to his barn to feed his livestock, he was struck by an automobile and died later that evening at Ft. Sanders Hospital. Note: When Mr. McCall wrote his Will in 1932, he stated he had seventy-three and one-half acres left to distribute to his heirs.
The rural area did not stay vacant for long. Progress came and commercial development was flourishing along this main route. The residential development became fast growing into a beautiful little neighborhood and eventually with four churches, (Meridian Baptist Church, Colonial Heights Methodist Church, South Knoxville Church of God and Moorland Heights Baptist Church) one elementary school (Mooreland Heights School) and one city park. The park, named for the former Knoxville city councilman for our district, is the Gary Underwood Park and Greenway and is located on Moore Road. At this same park is the Ras P. Neal Soccer Field and the South Knoxville Optimist Club Building, which serves as the voting precinct for the 27th Ward. However, just on the edge of our district is a second park, and that is the 26 acre Charter Doyle Park, that in 1984, was donated to the city and county by former long-time Superintendent of Knox County Schools, Mildred Doyle. This parcel of land was part of a land grant issued for his service to his country, to Pvt. John Doyle, Mildred's Revolutionary War patriot ancestor. He is buried in a family cemetery on the hill in a fenced area of the park.
The popular Butterfly Lake, our area fishing hole, was the result of a series of sink holes that are along the south side of Colonial Road. In the early days, is referred to as McCall's Pond, but today is frequently called the Duck Pond.
By the late 1950's, the Chapman Highway Dogwood Trail was etched into the neighborhood by the city traffic engineers. The problem of folks being able to take the scenic tour without a guide, was solved with an ingenuous plan of painting the street with white markings on the pavement. The only change in that plan is what it is now painted pink.
WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Photo of Colonial Village
(its big! - Slow Modem User Beware) before
Copyright(c) 2002 Colonial Village
Neighborhood Association. All rights reserved.